15 October 2010

Book Swap Club

I've always loved reading, and for ages I've been thinking about starting a book club. But the more I thought about it the more I realised that I wasn't that interested in the everyone-reads-the-same-book-and-discusses-it type of book club (I would probably irritate everyone by doing this a lot).


So instead I started a book swap club, and we had our first get together last night. Everyone brought along a selection of books that they'd read and enjoyed, we piled them up in the middle of the room, and in between eating and talking explained a little about them. Then at the end of the night people took home any books that took their fancy (and some that I forced on them like Pride and Prejudice and Zombies).

It's so good to be exposed to some more authors, since I've been finding it really easy to get into a reading rut and just keep on sticking to the same type of books. We've decided to make the book swap a monthly occurrence which gives me plenty of time to get through the stack of books I bought home, and some type to read a few new books that people might like.

Any recommendations? I tend to like books with love/monsters/crime/magic/humour/history/travel

4 comments:

  1. What a awesome idea, this is the first i have heard of a 'Book Swap club' and it sounds perfect!
    One book that i have read lately and LOVED was: "My Ridiculous, Romantic Obsessions" by Becca Wilhite. The book is so witty and fun and a honest view from the way girls think.

    BTW, i love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I will have to check out that book, sounds interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. have you read The History of Love? you must, if not.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE this idea! I second The History of Love. Amazing.

    Let us know what you're reading this month!

    ReplyDelete