28 January 2009

Train Journey Part One

It was so exciting to be travelling in Europe again, especially by train! Owen and I left London for a ten day train journey through central Europe, visiting six different countries.

Bratislava
We arrived into the capital of Slovakia late at night, and while wandering around the airport looking confused were lucky enough to meet another traveller who was staying at the same hostel as we were. He had spent some time in Bratislava before and helped us navigate public transport and a long walk through the streets of the city at night.


The next morning was spent exploring the old town, which was much nicer than I was expecting. After a couple of hours we made our way to the train station for our first foray into European rail travel.

Vienna
It was a very short train ride from Bratislava to Vienna, but by the time we managed to find accommodation (which was out of the city) it was getting quite late and we didn't have time to do anything apart from grab a quick meal. We made up for it by spending the next day sight seeing.


After walking round the grounds of Schonbrunn Palace we headed into the city centre and spent a couple of hours taking in the sights and taking lots of photos! The Zentralfriedhof (central cemetery) is the final resting place for some of the great composers, so I dragged Owen along with me to see the graves of Beethoven and Mozart before we left Austria for our next destination.

Prague
From Vienna we made our way to Prague, which was a beautiful city but seemed to be well past its prime. It was still interesting exploring the old town, but I found it so cold we needed to stop often for hot chocolates!

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous11:53 pm

    You've now definitely seen more of Eurpoe than I have, and I've lived in the UK all my life!

    You may well have inspired me to save and travel more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous6:15 am

    ooooh Prague. I'd love to visit Prague. One of my teachers last semester spent several years in Prague and always talked about the place. It just seemed like a place I'd love to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks absolutely fabulous, jealous x a million!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would definitely recommend a train trip if you are thinking of taking in a bit of Europe. So much fun!

    ReplyDelete