05 August 2011

Experiments with Yogurt Making

A few months ago I bought Home Dairy with Ashley English, and have been trying to make the perfect batch of yogurt. The process is easy enough: heating milk, letting it cool and adding live yogurt culture, then keeping at a medium heat for a few hours.


My first batch was much too thin, and the second wasn't much better. I added milk powder to thicken the next batch and things were looking good. I was using the slow cooker as the incubator, and every now and then turning the heat on to make sure the temperature didn't get too low. I left for about half an hour to take the dog for a walk, and when I returned I realised instead of turning the slow cooker off, I'd turned it to high! Yogurt does not like high temperature, and curdling ensued.


Last weekend I decided to have another go and was finally successful! I've been having it unsweetened with muesli and fruit most mornings this week, but I made sure to save a couple of spoonfuls as a starter for the next batch. My next experiment will be adding some flavour, any suggestions?

4 comments:

  1. Sorrel2:11 pm

    Its Cherry season!

    ReplyDelete
  2. can you make yogurt in this way with soy milk???

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love making yoghurt! What I used to do was keep the oven on warm for about an hour. Turn it off, wrap the yoghurt container in lots of kitchen towels and put it in there overnight. Worked for me.

    I like the milk powder trick!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Soz, I like the way you think!

    Holly, it sounds like a similar process:
    blog.fatfreevegan.com/2007/01/making-soy-yogurt.html

    Tash, I tried a similar method before I bought a slow cooker (much less chance of curdling that way too!)

    ReplyDelete