22 December 2008

Why I Love London


One of the best things about London is the feeling that there could be almost anything around the next corner. This was definitely my experience yesterday when Gareth and I went on an adventure into the city.

We were initially looking for the New Zealand Shop to buy some Burger Rings and Pineapple Lumps, but ended up exploring the streets for hours instead. Some of the highlights of the day included:
  • Listening to some musicians dressed in Medieval costumes and singing Christmas carols on the deck of a sailing ship
  • Seeing the city lit up with Christmas lights
  • Strolling through markets on the bank of the Thames with the scent of mulled wine in the air
  • Coming across a pack of huskies
  • Watching street performers at Covent Gardens
  • Finding a high-speed carousel at Leicester Square which included giant chickens as well as the more traditional horses
  • Seeing a bubble-blowing car which filled the streets with hundreds of bubbles
I'm going to miss London when I leave in a couple of months!

8 comments:

  1. Anonymous7:40 am

    How awesome! I'd love to visit London some day...

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should if you get the chance! It really is a great city.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds so magical. :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous6:49 am

    It's funny how I always used to think the same about London, and still do, actually.
    I love that place to bits and I wish I could spend more time there!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amazing! I'm going to London in like a week in a half! I have no idea what I should see - is there anything you'd absolutely recommend?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been meaning to go ice-skating for ages - there are some really good places around the city, including in the moat of the Tower of London.

    One of the best things I've done in London was seeing a Shakespeare play at the Globe. It's closed over winter but if you're back in London over summer then definitely go!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous1:20 am

    We just returned from celebrating Christmas in London and had a great time. We saw the rink by Tower of London, but didn't go since our legs were working hard enough with all the walking we did.

    My blog has a few of the restaurants we enjoyed while there in the SW7 are. One has a big sandwich for just £2.50. We'd have saved a bundle if we'd known that at the start of our visit.

    One thing a friend told us that was useful is to buy an OysterCard or Tube day pass if taking multi-zone or multiple trips in a day. We also used the Big Bus Tour to get around and see everything, but it was a chilly experience. The bonus is that they have a promotion now so it includes unlimited rides on the city cruise boats and their own walking tours. We did the Charles Dickens London Walks tour on Christmas Day. Their walks tend to be £7 pp which is better than the £24 pp for the 48-hour Big Bus ticket. But the walking tour only lasts two hours so it is proportionate to the time I suppose.

    I am sure you have more information than I do, Bridey, but I'll still include a link to my post with the restaurant names if you don't mind.

    http://slaintecork.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for sharing the link, I will have to check out some of those places before I leave London!

    ReplyDelete