14 May 2008

Last Stop in Phuket

Owen and I left the Intrepid Tour a day early and made our own way across Thailand to Phuket. This involved 14 hours of travelling by bus, ferry, van and taxi so I was very pleased when we finally got to our hotel. That was until I realised that we were sharing a room. With cockroaches. The room was really nice apart from the roaches, but it was a while before we finally got to bed because I kept finding more and more for Owen to kill.


I was worried that some of the cockroaches that had escaped the purge might crawl on my face while I was asleep, but if they did I never realised so it worked out OK. Luckily there was a good swimming pool, and we were only staying one night anyway so the next morning we took a shuttle into Patong Beach to find our hotel. We were dropped off on the main street, but because of the heavy rain we had to stop at a bar before renewing our search for the hotel. It turned out it was close by so we didn't get too wet wandering the city.

The weather did improve, but was raining off and on the rest of the time we spent in Phuket. Also, the sea was too rough for boat trips which meant we didn't get to visit the nearby islands. Instead we spent our time exploring the markets, drinking cocktails, taking silly photos, relaxing at the hotel and ordering a lot of room service.



We actually ended up spending quite a bit of time at the hotel, which was a bit disappointing, but there were two main reasons for this apart from the weather:
  1. The hotel pool was nicer than the beach, which had quite a lot of rubbish and an abundance of old men walking around in speedos. Not a pretty sight.
  2. Every time we walked down the street we were accosted by stall holders. They were a lot more insistent than in Bangkok or Koh Samui. Owen got especially sick of the people trying to sell him a suit - "G'day mate, I have a cheap suit for you cobber"
When it was time to leave Phuket I was definitely ready to go. Thankfully leaving was a lot easier than getting there as we flew directly to Singapore for a short stopover before getting on the plane to London.


If you would like to see more photos, check out my flickr page.